Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Proud Teaching Moments





One of my former, amazing principals used to say this to us all of the time.  He was master at recognizing even the small contributions of his staff.  I have also been blessed with several co-workers that are masters at the skill of recognizing not just major successes, but the small contributions to the greater good.  My current principal starts every faculty meeting with "Celebrations," a time for educators to recognize other educators. It has been a long time since I have worked in a corporate job, but I don't remember experiencing the kind of "lifting others up" as I have in education.

When I reflect on my proudest teaching moments, a theme of recognition emerges. The thank yous from former and current learners that tell me how I or my class inspired them and how they still use the skills learned in my class years later fills my heart and motivates me to try even harder to reach every learner in my classroom. Seeing my learners win awards or be recognized for projects they completed under my supervision makes me ridiculously giddy and encourages me to seek out more competition experiences for my them. From having grants approved and being nominated for Teacher of the Year and Great Educators Matter awards to the simple compliments from a colleague praising my leadership, a lesson, or my ability to connect with learners, it is surprising how these things have given me the confidence to grow and take risks.
OSP logo.JPG
NASSP and NJHS National Service Project Award

Multimedia Service Learning Project


Receiving a GEM Award
Before I took the time to reflect with this post, I didn't think recognition was really an important value to me. I wanted to think of myself as a humble servant and cheerleader to others who had a mature enough self-confidence to not need the praises of others, but deep inside, I think most of us can benefit from the courage a little bit of recognition can give us. I am personally making an effort this year to recognize the greatness in others and challenge you to also find ways to lift up your colleagues and learners daily, because the world already has enough critics.

Leave a comment below with the special ways you recognize learners and colleagues. 





No comments:

Post a Comment